Our world....

Monday, December 17, 2007

What's Cooking in Kristin's Kitchen?










People always ask, What are you making for dinner tonight? I too am always curious as to what other people are eating at their house. Growing up I always loved to eat over at other peoples house to try new things and see what they eat. Basically, I just love to eat good food! Well, for breakfast we have been having either eggs, whole wheat toast, whole grain waffles, whole grain cereal or oatmeal, and/or smoothies made with berries, natural yogurt, flaxseed, and juice. Then lunch during the week is usually whatever we have for leftovers from dinner or sandwiches (turkey or ham or natural peanut butter). Healthy snacks that I try to make are homemade hummus, guacamole, pretzels, fruit, cut up vegetables, and organic snack bars. Also, I have found some great new recipes in the Seinfeld cookbook. The banana bread made with cauliflower and the peanut butter and banana muffins (also made with cauliflower) are delicious. Although my kids will eat vegetables, the recipes in the book are good just for making regular recipe's more healthy. For dinner, the book also has a good chicken nugget recipe that all me kids loved. I dipped the chicken in sweet potato puree and then breaded the chicken with flaxseed meal and breadcrumbs. We also love to eat faitja's for dinner. I started marinating vegetables such as zucchini, squash, onions, and pepper (pictured) to go with the faitja's. I also add black beans and corn to the mix then top with guacamole. I so love this that I will eat it for breakfast and lunch the next few days until it is all gone! Also, when I make taco meat now I started adding tomato sauce and carrot puree and it tastes really good. Another dinner staple in our house is spaghetti but sometimes we mix it up by having either lasagna (pictured) or mostacholi or a noodle bake with cream cheese etc. I started using organic spaghetti sauce that is low in sugar. And everyone likes it more than our regular sauce. I also have always been using 100% whole wheat pasta for a long time now without any complaints! We also try to have salmon regularly. I usually make that with a couscous mix and a salad. Grilled chicken and flank steak with veggies and salad are eaten here too. I also have been experimenting with different soups. I have found an easy chicken noodle that is popular here and then I freeze the leftover in individual servings for a quick snack. Also, white bean chicken chili happens a lot! I made a homemade chicken pot pie the other night that was way better than any frozen or bisquick recipe. O.k...so that is basically what I do with my time. I am either thinking about food, making it, or shopping for it! Let me know if you want any recipes!

8 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Blogger alesworld said...

It was manwhich night at the Ales last night and then we messed up a Christmas cookie recipe and made terrible tatsing cookies! Tonight we will attempt the pot roast in the crockpot....... Pray for us, invite us for dinner....

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

You're trying to steal mom! Also, I have a fab homemade chicken pot pie recipe that also tastes WAY better than any other pot pie I've ever had. You're meals look scrumptious. When I make Kraft make and Cheese I've been adding a 1/4c pureed cauliflower and it tastes creamy and good.. just as long as you don't add too much!

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am always looking for new recipes, too. Send me your potpie recipe, bc I have made the Bisquick one and it's easy, but I agree it doesn't taste great.

Amy

 
At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, send me your hummus recipe, too. I've been disappointed with a couple hummus recipes I tried and I'm looking for a good one.

Amy

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Billie said...

My eyes glazed over when reading this post...

I can make three things REALLY well:
Spaghetti
Burritos
Chili

Everything else comes from a package, or even better we carry out or eat out. I HATE to cook, and hate cleaning up even MORE!

Kudos to you... I'm sort of jealous:)

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo impressed! You are quite a chef! Like Billie, I am little jealous ;=) I have to make sure your dad does not read your posting...it might give him ideas! By the way, I did your fajitas recipe, very well received here in Michigan. Love, Sylvie

 
At 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mm-m-m-m!!! Yummy! What time should we be over? Will we see you anytime soon on Oprah? You do all this without a cast of thousands like seinfeld!!!! You have always served up good cookin' in my opinion! I really enjoyed this entry with pics! be sure to have pics in your book! it's a must for me to purchase! Like to tell you I am hooked on flaxseed meal since our visit! someone at work buys the seeds in bulk, whole puts in freezer and fresh grind as needed in a coffee grinder! Ambitious! I buy in a bag right now pre ground! Oma Sharon

 
At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!!!! PS---SOS---SOS! WHAT'S 4 DESSERT???????? OmaSharon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home